Training and Tutorials
Whether you’re a novice looking to ramp up your data journalism knowledge and skills, or an old pro who just needs a refresher on the basics, these resources are for you. Among them, you’ll find multiple data journalism courses and training programs, each offering a comprehensive program of study that’s designed to help readers develop the skills they need to find and craft compelling stories with data. You’ll also find a directory of workshops and webinars that will help you take your data journalism to the next level, and a useful guide that aims to introduce readers to the visual side of data journalism.
- Google News Initiative – Data Journalism Course. Created by the Google News Initiative, this course aims to teach users how to find, analyze, interpret, and visualize data in compelling new ways, and is particularly relevant for those looking to make better use of Google Workspace products like Google Sheets, Google Trends, etc.
- New York Times Data Journalism Training Program. This training program includes a comprehensive curriculum covering both technical and storytelling skills, practice datasets, and helpful cheat sheets that can serve as reference materials for reporters as they put their newfound skills to work.
- Workbench Data Journalism Course. Developed by The Open Notebook in collaboration with data journalist Betsy Ladyzhets, this entry-level course emphasizes core technical skills like chart creation and pivot tables.
- SPJ Google Tools Training Program – Downloadable Teaching Tools. For educators planning to teach data journalism to their own students, this resource offers customizable, instructional modules covering everything from how to find a data story in Google Trends to data acquisition and visualization.
- IRE Events Page. Throughout the year, the non-profit organization IRE (Investigative Reporters and Editors) offers numerous boot camps, workshops, and training sessions in both data journalism and other topics. (Note: Events may be limited to IRE members and/or require ticket purchase.)